Eau Claire Ranked 21st in Health Outcomes in the State
Eau Claire County ranked 21st in Health Outcomes in the State
Eau Claire, WI – Eau Claire County ranked 21st out of 72 counties for health outcomes and 17th for health factors, according to the seventh annual County Health Rankings, released today by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) and the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute (UWPHI). The Rankings are available at www.countyhealthrankings.org
Please see the attached press release related to the 2017 County Health Rankings released today by the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute (UWPHI) and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF). The Rankings are based on the model below and emphasize that many factors, if improved, can help make communities healthier places to live, learn, work and play.
Key Findings from 2017 County Health Rankings:
Areas for Improvement:
• Eau Claire County has high rates of adult smoking (18%) and excessive drinking (27%). Out of 72 counties, Eau Claire ranks 57th in adult smoking and 71st in excessive drinking.
• Nearly 1 in 3 Eau Claire County adults are obese. While this ranks 15th out of 72 counties, it is above the national benchmark.
• Eau Claire County ranks 70th out of 72 counties for income inequality.
• 16% of households in Eau Claire County have at least 1 severe housing defect, which ranks the county at 54th.
Areas of Strength:
• Eau Claire has improved in measures related to clinical care. The county ranks 10th out of 72 in this area.
• Low rates of uninsured residents coupled with high numbers of healthcare providers per person as well as positive screening rates for diabetes and breast cancer indicate a strong healthcare system in our county.
• Eau Claire County is 10th in unemployment rate. Only 3.9% of the labor force is unemployed.
Ongoing community initiatives to address these factors:
The Rankings have become an important tool for communities that want to improve health for all. Eau Claire County has a number of initiatives underway to expand health opportunities for residents. To learn more about the current activities, please visit Eau Claire Healthy Communities’ website: www.echealthycommunities.org.