Computers and other electronic devices now comprise the fastest growing waste stream in the country. Computers contain several potential contaminants such as lead, cadmium, mercury, chromium and nickel. They are classified as hazardous waste products by the EPA and WI DNR, thereby making it illegal for businesses and residents to landfill or incinerate these machines. Televisions contain significant amounts of lead; flat screen televisions have high levels of mercury. For information on e-cycle Wisconsin visit the WI DNR's website.
View WEAU's newscast about electronic recycling in the Chippewa Valley.
The following locations in Eau Claire County accept computers and other electronic items as noted on a routine basis:
- First Choice Computer Recycling, call or visit their website for disposal fees. They accept computer equipment, electronic equipment, multi media, and appliances. (715-833-2005, 525 Park Ridge Court, Eau Claire, WI 54703)
- Best Buy accepts most electronics, however there is a size limit on televisions and computer monitors. To find out more, go to their website or call 715-833-0666.
First Choice accepts the following for recycling (this list is not all inclusive)
- Computer equipment including: Monitors, CPU's, printers, keyboards, cables, network equipment, software, ink cartridges, toners, fax machines, telephone systems, scanners and copiers.
- Electronic Equipment including: TVs, VCR's, DVD players, stereos, radios, typewriters, and adding machines.
- Multi Media including: CDs, DVDs, and Records.
- VHS and cassette tapes are no longer being accepted